Wednesday 23 May 2012

Jamie's Food Revolution



After this weekend there is no doubt this was going to be my next cookbook. Jamie's Food Revolution: Rediscover How To Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals by Jamie Oliver, 2008, First U.S. Paperback Edition; pp.[7] 359. This cookbook has a story to tell!


In the introduction he reveals his passion behind Food Revolution. Jamie Oliver tells us his inspiration, British cooking legend Mauguerite Patton and why he is continuing to petition for better food choices in schools and in homes around the globe. He also explains the idea behind the pass it on movement. Not only is he a celebrity chef he is a parent and you get the sense that he sees the larger picture. And where are you in that picture? In the kitchen cooking and baking easy recipes that are delicious for family and friends. This cookbook is for everyone and is meant to be shared. 


The recipes are easy to read. Key ingredients are highlighted with red lettering. So if you are making a grocery list, like I was, it's easy to write down the things you will need. I have this cookbook in my regular rotation of cookbooks. One of my favourite recipes being the baked creamy leeks. There are mouthwatering photographs of recipes. Step by step photos to help guide you. To make the most of your kitchen experience the book offers a list of Essential Kitchen Equipment and a list of Essential Cupboard Ingredients. Most ingredients listed you should have in your cupboard, refrigerator and freezer already. I know how my mum stocked her pantry and that is why I try to have a well stocked one too. To me nothing beats a well stocked pantry! 


I have watched Jamie Oliver's School Dinners, Ministry of Food and Food Revolution and found it informative and eye opening from across the pond. Jamie Oliver is carrying a lot on his shoulders. One could say the weight of the world. He is trying to educate the masses, undo convenience food; processed and pre-packaged, debunk junk food and level out sugar. People are listening. Look at everyone who participated this past Saturday in Food Revolution Day. People stood up! but is this enough? I am sure Jamie Oliver thinks so. One person can make a difference. I know I think about the food choices everyday... for myself and for my children. I make them aware. My kids have watched the pink slime video. They do know about healthy eating but hey they are kids. They like what they like. I can only try. I will leave you with a sentence or a quote if you would like to call it that came from the cookbook. - JW  


     "Anyone can eat good food on any budget as long as they know how to cook."  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.