Wednesday 9 May 2012

Bollywood Cookbook




This cookbook I couldn't help and share straight away. The Bollywood Cookbook by Bulbul Mankani; hardcover, second edition 2007, pp.176 published by Kyle Books is a lavish one. Nineteen Bollywood actors share their favourite recipes. High gloss colour photography, in depth biographies, classic recipes and personal stories will take this cookbook from the kitchen to the coffee table. At the back of the book is a section called Unspooling Bollywood: Classic Moments from the Indian Film Industry. Starting with the silent film era in India around 1899 and going all the way up to 1981. This cookbook also has a list of films under the title Best of Bollywood 1995-2006. 



Amazing what one photo can do... one minute I am sitting in the kitchen typing this blog post the next I am enchanted into the world of Bollywood... 






This cookbook is filled with family recipes to tantalize your taste buds. Each recipe is discussed first, giving a brief description into each dish. Why the actor chose it and the signature flare for the predominant ingredient or ingredients being used. Seeing how I just bought the cookbook I haven't made a dish... yet. The Butter Chicken recipe sounds to die for! The lentil dishes are another favourite of mine. I would like to consider myself an adventurous spirit but when it comes to trying my hand at recreating India desserts I become a little shy. Perhaps one day. For now I will leave you with a few of the movie posters of the many films that were discussed in this book. -JW     




Mother India was made in 1957. This epic film received an Oscar nomination. 





This late 1950's classic, Kaagaz Ke Phool was India's first Cinemascope film. 




Umrao Jaan, another classic from 1981. Stars Bollywood actress Rekha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.