Tuesday 29 May 2012

Eggplant


I have been feeling very compelled to buy an eggplant lately. The few times that I have gone to the market I resisted temptation. This week I caved and bought one... now what?When I think of eggplants or aubergines I think of fall and all the colours of that season, casseroles, flowers, greek olives, plums, beaded pearls, and eyeshadow. It really does run the gamut. The first dish that comes to mind naturally is eggplant parmesan. I just bought some zucchinis/courgettes from the Italian Centre so I will pair them with the eggplant and make a very delicious zucchini eggplant parmesan casserole.  

There are many different varieties of eggplants, mostly purple and some are orange. The most common shape is the one I pictured here, an elongated oval. Eggplants are grown in five countries: China, India, Egypt, Iran and Turkey. The U.S. state of Georgia grows the largest quantities. Eggplants may help block free radicals, are a source of folic acid and potassium. -JW   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.