Monday 30 January 2012

Red Cabbage



Another favourite thing of mine is red cabbage. Red cabbage is high in Vitamin C, rich in Vitamin A and abundant in Vitamin E. The darker and brighter a vegetable the better. Even though I had found a recipe in one of my many cookbooks, the recipe I used was given to me over the phone. This person was very sure and keen on sharing their recipe with me. You will need: one red cabbage, two apples, two white onions, olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar and salt and pepper to taste.

First you want to finely chop the cabbage, apples and onions. I used Gala apples, you may also use Granny Smith apples for more of a tart flavour. When finished chopping add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large pot. Add a little salt and pepper. Start by putting a layer of red cabbage on the bottom, then follow with a layer of onion and then a layer of apples. Pour a tablespoon or two of red wine vinegar and a tablespoon of sugar, I used brown sugar, over the first set of layers. Repeat until all the cabbage, onion and apples are in the pot.

Your layers should look somewhat like this. With everything in the pot, simmer on medium high heat for an hour or two. Stir occasionally. Not letting it stick to the bottom of the pan. If juices run out add a bit more red wine vinegar. I supposed you could add some red wine to the pot, I did not. If you want the dish to be more sweet add more sugar. It's all personal preference.

When the house smells wonderful and everything has simmered down... remember the crunchy red cabbage and onion and the crisp apples... they have all come together. Stewed down into this yummy dish that is best served warm.



Have it with sausages, chicken or fish. It is a tasty side that will add colour and crunch to your meal.

3 comments:

  1. Yum. I love cabbage but I have never had this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am truly delighted to read this post regarding red cabbage which contains plenty of helpful facts, thanks for providing these data. Great article, exactly what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you stopped by and glad you enjoyed this post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.