Thursday 5 January 2012

More than a Minute



I feel this cookbook needs no introduction. Everyone... well almost everyone around the globe will recognise Jamie Oliver. I wanted to review this book now because most recently it has made headlines. Claims of promoting obesity, heart disease and diabetes. The usual suspects: coconut milk, cream, butter and red meat are present in some recipes. Jamie Oliver's recipes are recipes for 4-6 people. So let's put the portions sizes in perspective and everything in moderation. Right? Are you eating a Catherine Wheel seven days a week? Probably, not! Jamie Oliver is only using ingredients that have been used by your parents, your grandparents and their parents and everyone around the globe! If you don't like cooking with those ingredients than use the low fat versions of those ingredients. Personally I would prefer him to use the pure ingredients rather than the modified ones! I like Jamie Oliver for all his Food Revolution efforts, getting people, families back into the kitchen and out of the blur of processed foods and fast food. Whether you luv, like or dislike him you have to admit he has made an impact. He is trying to use his know how in a positive way. Now on with my review...





I found this a very easy cookbook to read. I like how it is laid out. the recipes follow as if Jamie Oliver is in your kitchen guiding you through each step of the process. It speaks to you in the way of how you would cook... how you would do the process. step by step. I own a copy of this book however when I was doing some research about the book I found that the cover used to be called Jamie's 30 Minute Meals: a Revolutionary Approach to Cooking Good Food Fast. Interesting. I feel unless you are a very experienced cook or get your kitchen magic mojo working then the recipes might take more than 30 minutes. Hence the possible title change, Meals in Minutes. Makes sense. Remember the saying practise makes perfect. In time you'll be able to get the recipes down. I know for myself it takes me a bit of time with a new recipe to get my groove on. To get it to a level where I am comfortable. I recommend this book to anyone who wants some good solid meals. Families, couples, people who entertain and luv to cook. Even if you are a single person I feel you could still use this book by freezing the unused portions. I know the idea is fresh food fast so I hope I didn't make Jamie Oliver cringe with that statement.


The photos are stunning and seem to go hand in hand with the step by step recipes on the opposite page. There is a video recorder symbol with recipes so you can visit his website and find helpful techniques to guide you. Which brings the level of interaction with this cookbook to a higher one. There is also a lovely write up by Jamie Oliver at the beginning. Cookbooks now a days almost read like a novel... well to me anyway. I enjoy looking at the entire cookbook. I feel Jamie Oliver is all about trying to give you the power... the cooking power that is! - jw



2 comments:

  1. Since you like cooking and cookbooks so much, I assume you have watched Julie and Julia, haven't you!?

    I would like to suggest two series of posts:

    1st - your analysis of the top ten movies about food and cooking, or movies plotted around kitchens. Here are my favorite:

    Mostly Martha (Germany, 2001 :: Bella Martha)
    Fried Green tomatoes (USA, 1991)
    Julie and Julia (USA, 2009)
    Big night (USA, 1996)
    A touch of spice (Greece/Turkey, 2003 :: Politiki kouzina)
    Chocolat (UK/USA, 2000)
    Babette’s feast ( Denmark, 1987 :: Babettes gæstebud)
    Like water for chocolate (Mexico, 1992 :: Como agua para chocolate)
    No reservations (USA, 2007)
    Ratatouille (USA, 2007)

    2nd. I would very much enjoy seeing recipes of food featured in famous movies. You could cook them as a challenge, once a month maybe. Here's the recipe for Lembas, the elvish bread featured in the Lord of the rings:

    Elven Lembas Bread Recipe

    6 tbsp butter or margarine, slightly softened
    2 cups self-rising flour

    1 tbsp granulated sugar
    ½ cup raisins (optional)

    1 egg, well beaten
    ½ cup milk

    4 TBSP heavy cream
    Mallorn leaves


    With a pastry blender of fork, cut margarine into the flour in a mixing bowl until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Do this rapidly so the butter does not melt. Add the sugar and if desired, ½ cup of raisins. In a small bowl, beat the egg and milk together until mixed. Reserve 1 TBSP of this mixture to brush the tops of the Lembas. Add the cream and egg mixture to the flour and mix just until combined into a stiff, soft dough. Knead three or four times on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough to a ¾" thickness and cut with an oval or leaf shaped cookie cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet, leaving 1" of space between Lembas. Brush the tops of the Lembas with the reserved egg-milk mixture. Bake for 12 -13 minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven.

    For safe keeping, wrap each Lembas individually in a fresh, clean Mallorn leaf. If these leaves are unavailable in your area, store the Lembas in a tightly closed container. Makes about 1 ½ dozen Lembas.

    Well, sorry for overwriting this comment, it's just that I like the subject and I don't know many people who write about cooking. :-)

    Take care and keep smiling beautiful girl.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenia... you have some good suggestions and thank you for your comment! also thanks for sharing that recipe. i luv baking and cooking. it's another way to be creative. you keep smiling too... JW xo

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.