Thursday 12 January 2012

comfort food



Last night I made macaroni and cheese to much of my six year olds dismay. The past two days have been cold and I have been craving some solid comfort food. Macaroni and cheese was it! Of coarse the recipe was simple... it's macaroni and cheese. When it says 2 cups of cheese I take that as an invitation to add more cheese. I served this dish with a mixed green salad. Simple delicious comfort food.




bubbly and very cheesy... 2 cups of uncooked elbow macaroni, 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard... I used prepared Dijon mustard instead. 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 2 cups of milk... I used Skim milk. 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook macaroni according to package. While the macaroni is cooking... Melt butter in a sauce pan. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. This is where I used a whisk instead of a wooden spoon. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. boil and stir for 1 minute, remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Drain macaroni. Gently stir macaroni into cheese sauce. Pour into ungreased 2 quart casserole dish. Bake uncovered 20 - 25 minutes or until bubbly.




© photos by Jacqueline Williams






2 comments:

  1. You have a 6 year old who doesnt like macaroni?
    It looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh she likes macaroni and cheese just not my homemade macaroni and cheese...
    it was very smooth and creamy

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.