Wednesday 18 January 2012

Just a Jug or Two


This cookbook I thought would be fun to add to my growing collection. With a Jug of Wine by Morrison Wood; Thirty-first printing, 1971, hardcover. Upon my research I found that the book remains out of print. Even though my copy is the thirty-first printing I am pretty lucky to have it and it must have been a very popular cookbook. Some reviews date Morrison Wood's musing in the kitchen pre Julia Child. The book starts with the discussion of wine, champagne and liqueurs. Then goes from appetizers to desserts with ease. One thing I do luv about this cookbook is that the recipes have easy to obtain ingredients. Most of the ingredients you would find in your pantry. Now I know cooking with wine... with alcohol is not for everyone. You could use cooking wine instead. I really enjoy when authors of cookbooks add stories, commentary... it makes it more personal. Fun to read. On page 63 is a recipe for Iced Chicken and Curry Soup which was a favourite of actress Myrna Loy. Whom was married to one of Woods old friends, Gene Markey. Interesting tidbit. Tomorrow night I am going to put this cookbook to the test and make Beef Stroganoff. I will be substituting the beef for chicken.


And just when you thought With a Jug of Wine couldn't get any better Morrison Wood came out with, More Recipes With a Jug of Wine; Thirteenth printing, 1971, hardcover. This companion has a whole new set of recipes. Similar to, With a Jug of Wine, they range from classic to exotic aka European. His stories and commentary are also present in this edition. I did find out that Morrison Wood did a third book called Through Europe With a Jug of Wine. I do not own a copy of that cookbook. - jw


© photos by Jacqueline Williams.

1 comment:

  1. Stroganoff YUM!
    Sounds so good right now.
    I need to find a low fat Chocolate pie recipe but dont want it to be mostly whipped topping. I am refusing to use Cool Whip because its all corn syrup. Ick.
    Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.