Wednesday 21 March 2012

Four Generations



This cookbook was given to me by my Dad. It looks as though it's been through the war and it probably has considering it was my Great Grandmother's. This homemade cookbook is 100 years old! Not only did my Great Grandmother use this book so did my Grandmother, his Mother, my Dad and now me. All the recipes have been typed out using a typewriter except for a few which have been hand written. Pages are filled with classic recipes and some to which I have never heard of. There are check marks and cross marks next to some recipes. Few handwritten notes.


All the recipes are still easy to read. She must have had a good typewriter and the paper is of very good quality, heavy and thick. All the recipes are typed on one side only. On the backside of each sheet is a faint imprint of a crest and these words that I can read by holding it up to the light: Superfine Linen Record, Made in Canada.


Mixed with the typed recipes are some handwritten ones as well. These pages look like they were very well used. It is unclear who's handwriting it is. It could be my Great Grandmothers or my Grandmothers. It is very delightful receiving a cookbook like this. - jw


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.