Friday 17 February 2012

Cornbread



For some reason over the past week I have made three pans of cornbread. I can't really explain this one other than the fact that it is very tasty! I have used more of a finer cornmeal in the past. Almost like a corn flour you would say. But I have found a more coarser cornmeal which gives more of a crunchy texture. I group cornbread with scones, it's one of those ever present versatile pieces complimenting whatever dish it is paired with. Whether it be lunch, dinner or breakfast, cornbread adds comfort to any plate.

Here I mixed 1 cup of cornmeal with one cup of flour, white or whole wheat you decide. A pinch of salt. About 4 tablespoons baking powder. About 1 to 2 tablespoons of sugar... I prefer to use brown sugar. If you are watching your sugar intake then reduce the sugar or skip it altogether. Then add these next three ingredients to the dry ingredients you have just measured out. Sometimes I am a one bowl kind of girl. Using every possible or separate dish or bowl means only one thing, I have to wash them all. Who wants to spend a lot of time washing when there are other things to do! Make a well in the middle of the bowl. 

Add one egg, about a cup of milk and about 1/4 cup of soft butter or margarine. Mix until all is smooth and combined. No overbeating. Pour into a greased pan. I used a square 8 inch pan that was greased and lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated 425ยบ oven for approximately 25 minutes, checking half way. As always it's best to serve warm! 

Have fun and add this to whatever dish you are making this weekend. Enjoy! - jw

1 comment:

  1. Cornbread is one of my favorite things. It ranks up there with coffee and toast. I think I could live on these 3 things. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.