Wednesday 8 February 2012

Chicken Chili Con Carne

Like a good stew, chili is another hearty meal that doesn't get overlooked. I felt like Chili Con Carne over the weekend and within no time whipped this up to satisfy my insides. I will share my recipe with you. Keep in mind I have no recipe written down. And those are the best recipes. I have made this quite often. Chili is one of the easiest recipes to play around with.


First, in a stock pot brown 1 package of ground chicken and one chopped onion together in a tablespoon of olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and a dash of pepper. Stir occasionally so everything doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. I then add two crushed and chopped cloves of garlic. Stir to combined. While the chicken, onions and garlic come together chop whatever veggies you have chosen. I chopped two medium carrots, half a green pepper and half of a yellow pepper.


When chicken is browned, making sure all the meat has been cooked through, and onions are tender and slightly transparent but not over cooked, add the raw veggies. Stir together and cook for a few minutes. Just until the raw veggies have soften. I do like my veggies to still have some crunch. You may also want to put a lid on your pot to enhance the cooking time of the veggies. At this time I add some paprika, about a tablespoonful or two. When things start smelling great and veggies are to your liking...


It is time to add the beans. I chose one tin of pinto beans, drained, one tin of black beans, drained and one tin of baked beans in tomato sauce. Add whatever beans you would like. Kidney beans work well too. When choosing tins of beans I look for the lowest in sodium and use those. You may also used dried beans. Even though I am attracted to the idea of dried beans my experience has left me fussing over them too much. Stir in the beans to combined and simmer a few minutes more.


Now it is time to add the tomatoes. I used two 796ml tins of low salt diced tomatoes. That's 28 fluid ounces. Purely for convenience sake. There is nothing wrong with using tin tomatoes. You could use half tin tomatoes and half fresh tomatoes or all fresh tomatoes. Stir until tomatoes are combined. Now it is time to add the chili powder and don't be shy here. It may seem like you are adding a lot but you need to season this dish well! I added... oh about 5-6 tablespoonfuls. I wasn't measuring I just added the chili powder until I felt it tasted and looked right.



After everything has been added to the pot. Let it simmer anywhere from a half hour to an hour. Letting the spices steep into the chicken, veggies and beans. Sometimes during this stage I add a few squares of 80% dark chocolate. It adds a bit of richness and works well with the spiciness of the chili. Your place should smell fantastic by this point. Your pot brimming with hearty goodness.



I serve my chili best with a piece of rustic cornbread. You may also add a dollop of sour cream and a tablespoon of grated cheddar cheese on top. - jw

1 comment:

  1. Looks hearty! I would have to substitute the black beans. Not a fan of black beans.
    I want to try this all because of the dark chocolate. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.