Thursday 28 May 2015

Honey Garlic Sauce


After standing in the aisle at the grocery store reading the label on a bottle of honey garlic sauce, I decided to make my own sauce, considering I had most of the ingredients, except the garlic, at home. I thought it should be a pretty straight forward sauce probably without much fussing. So I ditched the convenience and headed to the cookbooks instead.   

Honey Garlic Sauce
----------------------------------------
1/2 cup of honey
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 white vinegar
2 to 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon of baking soda
a pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 400ºF.

Line a baking tray or baking pan with aluminium foil or parchment paper. 

In a large bowl combine the honey, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, and salt.

Stir until the honey and sugar are dissolved. Once dissolved stir in the baking soda.  

The mixture will foam... or froth up like a science experiment. This part reminds me of when you make cinder toffee.  

Place the pork chops in the bowl, one at a time if you like, turning to coat both sides. 

Place the pork chops on the prepared baking pan and spoon over with the remaining sauce.

I guess when I said spoon over I really meant smoother with the remaining sauce.  


Place the baking pan with the generously coated pork chops in the oven for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until meat is cooked all the way through. Covering the top of the pan half way through the cooking time. 


Notes: This sauce would be great over ribs, chicken, tofu, kebabs, and beef. I lined my pan, to hopefully save on mess, although most of the sticky sauce went underneath the aluminium foil. Next time I might try a baking sheet/tray. Before covering half way through the cooking time you could spoon the sauce from the baking pan over top of the pork chops, like what you do when basting a turkey.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.