Tuesday 26 March 2013

The Zucchini and Carrot Cookbook


"Zucchini and carrots are truly the prodigal vegetables - yielding profusely, lavishly abundant." I couldn't agree more with that sentence from this cookbook. 

The first time I was introduced to zucchini was when my mum would make a chocolate zucchini loaf every now and again. However I do not think I fully appreciated her efforts. My idea of a sweet loaf was different. Vegetables were not dessert let alone mixed with chocolate. It wasn't the most anticipated combination. Now I find myself reminiscing about that very chocolate zucchini loaf. When I found this cookbook, I was scouting the aisles at Goodwill, I like to check all avenues old and new in search of cookbooks. My reminiscing became reality.  

The Zucchini and Carrot Cookbook by Ruth Conrad Bateman, 1976, covers just about everything imaginable in regards to recipes having zucchini and carrots as the main ingredient. The Good Cooking Ways is the first chapter and has tips on how to buy, ways to cook and zucchini and carrot sizes. The other chapters are 2) Lively Appetizers and Soups, 3) Omelets, Quiches and Casseroles, 4) Light-Touch Main Dishes, 5) Cool Salads, Relishes, and Pickles, 6) Breads and Spreads, 7) Cakes, Pies, Pudding, and Cookies and finally the 8th chapter Good Neighbour Recipe Exchange. This book really runs the gamut. There are some unusual... I say unusual however I mean more unique recipes. Like the Carrot Marmalade, Carrot Lemon Pie, Carrot Peanut Butter Spread, Almond Carrot Macaroons, Sautéed Zucchini Vermouth and Zucchini Cheese Pancakes. There are no glossy colour photos just a black and white illustration placed here and there. 

At any given time I always have a plenty of carrots on hand. Zucchini less so. So it was no surprise when I made the Tropical Carrot Cake from the cookbook. I also had some fresh pineapple on hand too. So it was meant to be. I omitted the the walnuts and added fresh orange zest instead.   
     

The recipe stated to icing the cake with a cream cheese icing. Unfortunately I had no cream cheese. Instead I added about a cup of icing sugar into a bowl and squeezed the juice from one organic orange over top of the icing sugar, then I mixed the juice into the icing sugar. Adding more icing sugar to get a some what thick but not too thick consistency. When complete I spooned the icing over the top in circles. Creating more of a thick drizzle.   


Ready to serve and ready to be eaten! This was how I plated it. I hope everyone had a good weekend. - JW 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.