Friday 22 March 2013

Nigella's Chocolate Olive Oil Cake

Waiting for the cooker to be delivered had me all excited, 14 days is a bit of a stretch to be with out an oven when one likes to bake and cook. It was delivered and upon close inspection there was a flaw... a dent here and a not so well connected part there. It really is sod's law, isn't it? We called the company from whom we purchase the oven from explained the issues and a new, newer one will arrive next week. In the meantime we are to go ahead and use the new cooker until then. When I reviewed Nigella Lawson's cookbook, Nigellissima, last week I said that I want to make the Chocolate Olive Oil cake to christen the new oven. Despite the issues regarding the new cooker I did just that.  


Instead of using almond flour as stated in the recipe, I used unbleached all purpose flour as suggested in the recipe. The texture was light and Nigella was right by using all purpose flour the cake takes on more of an everyday cake with the slight hint of olive oil. By using almond meal/flour it would be more dense and be more suitable for someone who can't have any wheat or dairy. You can find the recipe on Nigella's website by clicking *here* and search for Chocolate Olive Oil Cake. 



As you can see it's not a high and fluffy cake. It's more compact with a nice rich chocolate flavour. The dusting of icing sugar gives it that finished touch. 

Until the new newer cooker arrives I will be using this one. I know they say three times the charm however in this case I feel twice the charm will do! -JW     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.