Friday 8 March 2013

Sunday Roast on Thursday



I decided to cook a roast, the first in two years. I used the slow cooker although my first instinct was to turn on the oven. I used a bit of red wine, some olive oil, a whole bunch of mixed herbs and some cloves of garlic. Set the slow cooker to low and cooked it for about 5 hours.



When the roast was done this was how it sliced. Growing up we always had Sunday roast. It wasn't Sunday unless the oven was cooking up a roast. Mash potatoes, peas, corn and always a slice of bread with butter accompanied the roast. I was more of a meat eater back then in part due to my heritage. Although I like to maintain those traditions I do like to make more well balanced choices.    



Just seeing this photo sends me into vegetable heaven! There is nothing more comforting than oven roasted veggies. This is super easy to make. I quartered potatoes, carrots and onions and added a handful of peeled cloves of garlic in a large bowl. I then added some olive oil, pinch of salt, some pepper, some herbs, balsamic vinegar and tossed to coat. Put them on a baking try lined with parchment paper. I popped the tray into the oven for about 40 minutes on 400ºF. Checking every now and again and flipping if needed. 



This was my plate. A kale salad, roasted veggies, mushy peas and to the right is a tiny piece of meat. It's quite laughable the size, I suppose. Meat isn't my first choice, especially red meat. In fact, veggie options are what I gravitate to the most. Look at the size of the salad on my plate! However some family and friends eat meat. I accept that. Therefore I accommodate. Enjoy your weekend! - JW     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.