Monday 3 September 2012

The Terrace Times Cookbook



I found this cookbook at the Winchelsea Book Fair. One thing that struck me about this book was the illustrations inside. It had me reminiscing... retracing my steps around London. The Terrace Times: Minimum Effort, Maxmium Effect CookBook London Edition by Helen Arbib and Drawings by Ray Evans pp.[3]64; 1982, published by Collins is a very slim streamlined book filled with a mixture of history, drawings and recipes. It's light-hearted approach makes one feel as though they can cook and have had a history lesson without ever having to enter a classroom. A quirk of the book is that it is dedicated to British Airways. Why? It's not really explained except it states that the cookbook could not have been done without their help. The cookbook has 8 chapters and they are: Introduction, History of London, Cookery Notes, Metrics Without Misery, Before the Main Course, The Main Course, After The Main Course and the Recipe Index. It has some classic British dishes and some interesting ones like Cauliflower Curry, Stilton Soup, Savoury Salmon Custard and Pease Pudding. There is a recipe for Apricot and Coconut Balls which I will make as part of my holiday baking. Shortbread is always my staple however I like to add a few new ones into the mix. - JW  



Here is an example of the illustrations that are throughout the book. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.