Wednesday 12 September 2012

Scotch Eggs


I always crave a scotch egg now and again. Since they are hard to find here, I crave them even more. Then why haven't I made them. They are on my cooking/baking "To Do" list. However when I was in England I was taught how to make scotch eggs by someone who knows and enjoys cooking. That is me in this photo concentrating on the task at hand. When you think about it, it seems fairly simple. Eggs. Sausage meat. Breadcrumbs. Oil. A pot for frying. I did have a video of me making the scotch eggs unfortunately I think I deleted it without realising that I did so. I blame the jet lag. Or me, trying to be cut throat when editing all of my 800 plus photographs taken on my trip! 
                                               
               

First, you hard boil the eggs. How many, is up to you. When the eggs are done, drain the water and let them completely cool. Peel the shells off. With the shells removed and  the eggs cooled you want to take the sausage meat and wrap it around the hard boiled egg. If the egg is too warm then the meat will not cover the egg properly. Once the egg is completely covered, not too thick with the sausage meat, you can dip the covered egg into the beaten egg wash. Covering all the surface of the sausage meat. 
  

Then take the dipped egg and roll it onto a plate covered with bread crumbs. This by far is the most relaxing bit. Coating all of the covered egg with the crumbs. For the breadcrumbs you can buy them in a package at the grocery store or you can make your own. 



The egg should look like this. All covered with the multiple layers of sausage meat, egg wash and breadcrumbs. Repeat the above steps until all the eggs look like this.
Now it is ready to go into the preheated pan with canola oil or any regular cooking oil.  



Place the covered eggs into the wire basket carefully. The oil is hot so tongs should help.   



You want to turn them while they are cooking to ensure all sides fry evenly. Keeping a watchful eye on them so they don't crisp up too much. 



These were the first few to come out of the pan. Nicely crisp. Nicely golden brown. That is exactly how you want them. 




Each egg is encrusted with this breadcrumb meat coating. Once we got going we made a few more. I know deep frying isn't for everyone however it does make the scotch egg what it is. I have heard of popping them in the oven to bake rather than deep frying the scotch eggs. I have thought about trying this method when I make them next because I am curious to see what they would be like. -JW 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.