Thursday 20 September 2012

Fennel and Red Pepper


The other day when I did my shop I was compelled to buy a fennel... well two in fact. I have had fennel before, on rare occasion. So I was excited to take them home and bake them along with the red peppers I already had. At first I thought this was a more of a  fall/winter dish but now I think roasting vegetables at any point during the year is fine. Depends on what veggies are available in your area.  

I quartered the fennel and red peppers. Tossed them in a large bowl with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Making sure they were coated well. Then laid them on a foil lined baking tray for about 30-40 minutes in a preheated 400ยบ oven. You want the fennel to be golden... slightly caramelised, not over cooked. I do like my roasted veggies to have some crunch. The red peppers you want slightly blackened, so to speak. Soft and fleshy but not mushy. When the veggies are done. Take them out of the oven and sprinkle with just a pinch of sea salt. 

This is easy make and will accompany salmon, chicken or pork very well. An egg dish would also work and that is what I served it with the other night. -JW  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.