Thursday 30 August 2012

Ploughmans

No trip to England would be complete unless you ate in a pub or had a ploughmans. I can say I did both quite regularly on my trip. Whenever it was time to grab a meal out I was all about the ploughmans. Every pub seems to offer their own version of this classic British dish.  


The New Flying Horse in Wye offered this ploughmans. Ham, cheese, grated cheese, salad, french baguette, celery, pickles and Branston pickle. I can't understand the grated cheese however this made for an adequate appetizing lunch. 


Marks and Spencers in Canterbury had a pre-packaged jubilee cheese ploughmans. The charming bunting package had me sold. This is my kind of fast food. Fresh and on the go. It was more like eating a homemade sandwich and satisfied my hunger. Luved the fact that they used watercress.    


Kings Head in Hythe offered these two amazing ploughmans. This is the small. It offered Irish brown bread, salad, grapes, pearl onions, massive chunks of cheese (that lie under the slices of bread) and caramelized onions. The two chunks nestle on top of the bread are butter. I rarely butter my bread so I put those to the side. This was a very filling ploughmans.  


This is the full order. Similar to the small however it came with two extra slices of bread, Branston pickle, coleslaw, potato salad and a slice of pork pie. I would only recommend this if you were not going to have anything else to eat for the rest of the day. This is such a simple British dish, why don't we see this more often on the lunch menu?  - JW 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.