Thursday 26 April 2012

Wednesday Roast


Growing up roasts were always on Sunday. Hence the term Sunday Roast. Well last night I brought Sunday Roast to Wednesday night's dinner. It has been awhile since I roasted beef. With much research and crossing referencing multiple recipes all I know is that I wanted it done and slow roasted. Nobody likes it when the main coarse is overdone and tough! The roast was drizzled with olive oil and then very generously smothered with Herbes de Provence. I let the beef marinate with this mixture for about six hours in the refrigerator. Usually Herbes de Provence consists of the following mixed herbs savory, fennel, basil, thyme and lavender. The mixture that I have included garlic and lemon peel. The house smelt wonderful, very fragrant! I roasted the beef at 325º for 2 hours, uncovered with a bit of water in the bottom of the pan. It probably could have used an extra 15 minutes. As I said I wanted it done but not tough.   


In a large foil tray I tossed pre-boiled potatoes and carrots and tossed them in olive oil, salt and pepper. I also added five whole cloves of garlic into the mix. Normal I would add some herbs and balsamic vinegar but omitted them this time. Due to the fact that the beef was encrusted with Herbes de Provence and I was also serving the meal with a curry gravy. Talk about worlds colliding but all the flavours worked so well together. I roasted the potatoes and carrots at 400º for about 30-40 minutes. Occasionally tossing... chuffing them in the foil tray.    




After all the effort this is how it was served pre-gravy. Also added was a side of peas because it just wouldn't feel complete otherwise. - JW



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.