Thursday 5 April 2012

Bara brith

Bara brith pronounced barrah breeth, is a traditional Welsh treat. It can be known as speckled bread. Also it is similar to the Irish barmbrack. To me it is like fruitcake because it is traditionally made with raisins, currants and candied peel. Last year I made quite a few Bara brith. Most of them being around Christmas time. I even made a few loaves with rum. Quite tasty! However this time I left out the rum. The raisins, currants and candied peel got a good soak in steeped Twinings Earl Grey tea for over twenty-four hours. Six hours is the minimum. I also added a few extra touches like an icing sugar drizzle and fresh orange zest on top. For you next gathering or holiday you may want to consider making a Bara brith. Even though it is a bit of a process still it is an easy tea cake to make. The recipe I use is as follows:

Bara brith
-------------
10ml (2tsp) good quality loose tea *note: you can also use tea bags
375ml (1 1/2 cups) boiling water
50ml (1/4 cup) currants
75ml (1/3 cup) raisins
75ml (1/3 cup) mixed candied peel
175ml (3/4 cup) whole wheat flour
175 ml (3/4 cup) unbleached self-rising flour *note: I used unbleached white flour
5ml (1tsp) baking powder
5ml (1tsp) pumpkin spice mix
50ml (1/4 cup) brown sugar
1 beaten egg

Brew tea for six minutes in boiling water and pour into a bowl over fruit. Cover with a clean towel and let stand overnight or for at least six hours.

Heat oven to 160ºC (325ºF) Grease a bread loaf pan and line with wax paper. I use parchment paper, I find it works best.

Add the beaten egg to the fruit and tea mixture. Sift flours, baking powder, and spice into a bowl and add the sugar. Now for the fun part... Add the soaked dried fruit, tea and beaten egg mixture; then stir gently until throughly mixed. Add a little hot water if the mixture is too dry. I have never had a problem with the mixture being too dry.

Place mixture in bread loaf pan and spread evenly. Make a dessert spoon sized hollow in the centre to prevent cracking when the bread rises. Honestly I have never done this and my loaves have turned out fine. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until the loaf is firm, with a browned top. Test by piercing with a metal skewer, or knife which should come out almost dry when bread is cooked. Cover with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking if colour becomes too dark. I check my loaf as it bakes and have never had to cover it. That being said I take it out of the oven 10 minutes early. Leave to rest in the pan for 10 minutes; then turn out onto a wire rack.

When cold, put in an airtight tin for two days to bring the flavours out. I never do this either. The hungry masses always want a piece. I usually slice it up and store it in a tin because it never lasts more than 3 days! - JW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.