Wednesday 18 April 2012

Apples!



We eat, we bake and we cook with apples! I am sure you have savoured the comforting flavour of an apple crisp. Used apple sauce for baking or served it over ice cream. Looked lovingly at a slice of apple pie. Drank apple juice to help aid a flu. I have made an apple chutney, by simmering chopped apples in tea. We also peel, chop, slice and dice apples. Is there anything that we can't do or create with apples? This cookbook Apples, Apples, Apples by Judith Comfort and Kathy Chute; first edition,1986 explains just about everything you need to know about cooking with apples. I say just about everything because in the Appendix there is a list of other books all dedicated to the apple.

It is a pretty informative cookbook with loads of recipes. With helpful hints and pages on measuring and grading apples. The cookbook is divide into eight chapters. They are as follows: 1. All Kinds of Apples, 2. Cooking with Apples, 3. Apples for Breakfast, Brunch and Lunch 4. Apples at Tea, 5. Apples for Dinner, 6. Apples for Dessert, 7. Apples for Keeps and 8. Fun with Apples. Fun with apples... I remember being in grade school and doing a craft project with apples. Using a baked apple for the head of a doll. I say doll but it really looked more like an old lady as the days went on. Mind you the doll didn't last very long and that's a good thing. And yes there is a recipe for the Apple Doll in chapter 8. I don't think I will be making the apple eggnog anytime soon. However the recipe I am going to try is a lunch one. Tuna apple salad in a pita. I also want to make the apple-dill sauce and the bacon apple pie.

I would have done a blog post sooner if Blogger wasn't giving me a more than funny five minutes. Will post a picture of my lunch. Have you had your apple today? - JW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.