Wednesday 2 October 2013

Low - Salt Cookbook


This is the only low salt cookbook I own. And since I purchased it for a mere $5 now you know why. Having a variety of cookbooks can have it's advantages however is it really necessary? For people who are watching their sodium levels, like myself, I usually just end up adapting a low salt/no salt attitude with the cookbooks I already own. Normally not stocked or flying off the shelves makes low salt cookbooks hit and miss. That is probably why I felt a bit compelled to purchase it.  

Every recipe has less than 350 milligrams of sodium. The coil spine makes it easy for the book to lay flat so following and recreating a recipe is easy. The six chapters start with breakfast and end with snacks. While everything from soup, salad, main dishes and desserts is thrown in-between. There are only 143 pages to this cookbook and no introduction. One can gather that they feel if you are purchasing this cookbook then you yourself would know why. Gluten-free, sugar free, dairy free cookbooks have an introduction explaining the why's and the idea behind such a book. Maybe low salt is more self explanatory and less complicated. Low salt doesn't have to mean, no flavour which I feel this cookbook is trying to convey.   

I tried their recipe Banana Bran Bread. Which was tasty and offered a bit more fibre. However the recipe called for 2 tablespoons of sugar substitute. Which I did not have so I just omitted that ingredient. Cooking and baking low sodium is fairly easy. For me it's just a matter of if it comes down to a science... like making bread all the ingredients are present for a specific reason. Therefore I would not omit the teaspoon and a half of salt. However I would be more willing to take my chances when whipping up a batch of cookies and omit the 1/4 teaspoon of salt. 

Lowering ones salt intake has health benefits just like lowering ones sugar and fat intake.  It is good to be conscious of all the things that our bodies can harbour. - JW 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.