Tuesday 22 October 2013

The Cheese Room



Most kitchens I visited in England had this book tucked in their cookbook collection. Not surprising considering England is the land, the region of many, many cheeses. Only the English can have a 200 year old ceremony called Cheese Rolling. Where participants chase a large round of Double Gloucester down a hill... off a cliff only to be met by paramedics at the end. All for the luv of cheese. I have a passion for cheese however I would not go running after it. Patricia Michelson, the author of this book, has a passion for cheese and she turned that into a North London shop called La Fromagerie.

If you luv cheese than this book is for you! I was browsing the shelves at an Oxfam charity shop in Highgate that is where I had purchased it. Obviously the previous owner didn't have a passion for cheese.

The Cheese Room celebrates cheese in a different way. Patricia Michelson shows one how easy it is to make fresh and wonderful cheese at home, create amazing fondues and fabulous cheeseboards. She has travelled the globe in search of the most tastiest cheeses. France, Italy, Spain and America. There are plenty of cheese related recipes. She offers tips on storing cheese. Tips on ordering cheese in a restaurant. Which cheeses to serve during the four seasons. This book is fun, relaxed and passionate. One can really gather that she enjoys what she does. The photography is in two sections about 8 pages each of glorious cheese. 

Here is her answer to fast food. "At the end of the day as I stroll home across Highbury Fields I may see a pizza delivery scooter roar past me at full throttle, try to reach it's destination by the allotted time. I can't help thinking that when I get home I'll simply slice two thin pieces of sourdough bread, toast them lightly, brush over a fruity white wine, lay slivers of Gruyere on top of one slice and crumble a goat's cheese over the other. Then I'll grill them until they are golden and melting. Just eight minutes from start to finish. Fast food - my way." I will definitely have to try this the next time I want something quick.  

For more information and the luv of cheese regarding La Fromagerie click *HERE*    

Enjoy! - JW 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.