Wednesday 24 October 2012

Jamie's Great Britain


You knew I wasn't going to leave England, this summer, without bringing this cookbook back with me. When I ordered my copy back in February it wasn't available in Canada. Not knowing the official North American release date or even if it was going to be released in Canada I placed my order and had to wait until my visit in August. I could have had the cookbook delivered to me however I can only imagine what the postage would have been! As of September 21 it has become available at Chapters. 

Jamie's Great Britain, first edition, 2011; pp.[15]407; Penguin, London, delivers another delicious book. Between the matte photos, the family photos, the local photos and British fanfare this has Rule Britannia written all over it! Apart from their history, Great Britons are food enthusiasts... foodies... a melting pot with a wonderful blend of past, present and future. This book was inspired by, at the time, the up and coming 2012 Olympics, him being a father of four kids and the country he calls "The Magpie" nation. He isn't overly patriotic just passionate about what his country has. The cookbook is also dedicated to Rose Gray, a former boss of his, who passed away in 2010. I find this cookbook a celebration of heritage - mine and could be yours, identity - our taste in food is not defined by where we live and people - locals, immigrants and visitors. We are all alike and in search of good food! 

Because I had ordered the cookbook directly from the UK all recipes offer UK measurements. This means I get to do some referencing, guess work, cross referencing to create the recipes. I don't mind, I enjoy it. The recipes range from traditional, classic to modern up-to-date British flair. The chapters are: Breakfasts, Soups, Salads, Pub Grub, New British Classics, Afternoon Tea, Seaside, Pies and Puddings, Sunday Lunch, Wild Food, Vegetables, Puddings and Condiments. I did try the scone recipe because I am always in search of the perfect scone. Either here at home, in the kitchen or when I am out and about. I like to try different scone recipes. My grandmother always made scones which were very delicious and I can taste them to this very day! I will post about the scones I made tomorrow. There are introduction stories to almost every recipe which are entertaining. Even when Jamie Oliver is describing the most simplest of things his passion and personality come through loud and clear.   

Was this cookbook worth the wait? For me, yes! Do I find it inspiring? Yes! and you may find it inspiring too. -JW 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.