Monday 9 February 2015

The Ultimate Vegetarian Cookbook



This was one of my first five cookbooks so when it went missing from my collection it really bothered me. I was sure that I misplaced it and that one day it would appear before my eyes. Always resting in the back of my mind and vowing to replace it, good things come to those who wait. A few weeks ago the waiting was over and it crossed my path at a local shop. The other copy I had, had a different dust jacket and I am sure it was the North American edition because if I recall correctly the measurements were mostly in cups. This cookbook the measurements are in grams and ounces. Not a major annoyance because this hefty cookbook is worth it! It truly is the ultimate vegetarian cookbook with 251 pages, over 200 recipes, 800 photographs and with step by step instructions. Ditch the soup cans and use this cookbook to tone your upper arms instead. 

I have made many recipes from this cookbook and the one that stands out the most... or rather the one that I have repetitively made is the Spicy Potato Strudel. And since I have been in a puff pastry mood as of late, filo pastry is just as good. Who would have thought that curry and cheddar cheese would work so well together. 

Spicy Potato Strudel
-----------------------------------------
serves 4
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, coarsely grated
1 courgette, chopped
350g/12oz potatoes, chopped
65g/ 2 1/2 oz/5 tablespoons butter
10ml/2 tsp mild curry paste
2.5ml/1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
150ml/1/4 pint/2/3 cup water
salt and ground black pepper
1 egg, beaten
30ml/2 tablespoons single cream
50g/2oz Cheddar cheese, grated
8 sheets filo pastry
sesame seeds, to sprinkle

1. Fry the onion, carrots, courgette and potatoes in half the butter for 5 minutes. Until they are soft then add the curry paste and cook for a further minute. 

2. Add the thyme, water and seasoning. Continue to cook gently, uncovered for another 10 minutes.

3. Allow the mixture to cool and mix in the egg, cream and cheese. Chill until ready to fill and roll.

4. Melt the remaining butter and lay out 4 sheets of filo pastry, slightly overlapping them to form a large rectangle. Brush with the butter and fit the other sheets on top Brush again.

5. Spoon the filling along one long edge, then roll up the pastry. Form it into a circle and brush again with the last of the butter. Sprinkle over the sesame seeds and set on a baking sheet.

6. Heat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas 5 then bake the strudel for about 25 minutes until golden and crisp. Allow to stand for 5 minutes or so before cutting. 


Notes: 
This recipe is fairly easy and quite simple to put together. The cheddar cheese mixed with curry makes for a fabulous combination. Since I have made this many times and on occasion I will add different veggies and more cheese. Who doesn't like more cheese? 

Hope everyone had a good weekend! - JD   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.