Thursday 12 February 2015

Kale


I usually eat kale raw mixed in with other salad greens. When we were invite to friends for dinner they served us a lovely side of sautéed kale. It was very delicious. Of course I had to ask what went behind this simple yet lovely dish. It was explained to me and it is very simple. Red/purple kale boiled... sautéed in oil and garlic... dash of balsamic vinegar... serve. Keeping that in mind the next day I decided to give it try with the green kale I had. Because this is one of those times where anything is possible and I wasn't really following a recipe making this was a bit more relaxed and up for a few changes here and there.  


First, I chopped the kale and placed into boiling water for a few minutes. When I was satisfied with the amount of time it had boiled, usually a bright green colour is a good indication, I removed it from the heat and drained it very well. 


Letting the kale rest, I placed some vegetable or in my case Camelina oil in a fry pan over medium heat to warm. Then I added 1 clove of freshly crushed garlic. Stirring, not letting the garlic burn or stick. Now you can thinly slice the garlic or chop the garlic, it is personal preference really and crushed adds a more pronounced garlic flavour. When the garlic was starting to turn slightly golden brown I added the kale.   

After adding the kale, I sautéed it for a few minutes letting everything come together.  


 
Then I added the balsamic vinegar. I do not have an exact measurement. I just added what I thought was a good amount, a dash or two. Sautéing a few minutes longer.


Essential the kale was done however I added some chopped sun-dried tomatoes and sautéed everything for a few minutes longer just to soften the tomatoes and bring out their flavour. Remove from heat and serve. 

It is that simple! 

Enjoy! - JD 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.