Monday 9 September 2013

The Incredible Spice Men

I did not get the priviledge of watching these two men on British television however my fiancĂ© did. And later that day when we were out and about I stood and listened to him recount their appearance. I immediately became intrigued and left the shop with their cookbook. Returning to Canada I googled them and found them on Youtube, Twitter and Facebook. After watching some of their Youtube videos I was even more delighted to have bought their cookbook. These two gentlemen are eloquent, and funny. You can tell they are passionate about what they do and make it look so effortless.


The Incredible Spice Men are taking spices to new levels. Adding twists to many traditional British recipes. They use some of my favourite  spices... cumin and cardamom. Spices are one of the oldest ingredients bought, sold and traded. Rather than accumulate in your pantry, they want to you to rethink and use those spices in dishes you are creating. They list 10 spice which they use and which should be in every pantry. They are: Cassia Bark, Cardamom, Cloves, Cumin, Corriander, Cinnamon, Chili, Nutmeg, Pepper, and Star Anise. Plus there is a wealth of information regarding each spice written as Spice Focus. I am unsure if I can find Cassia Bark in Canada however I will do some research. 

This cookbook is gorgeous and rich from page to page. Everything pops out at you. After leafing through the book from front to back, I went from back, re-reading recipes and gazing at the recipes and photos until I got to the front covers, again. I found this cookbook inspiring. When I made spaghetti sauce with minced chicken I added a fair bit of cumin and it was the best thing I could have done! I want to try Tony's Pawn Pilaf and Punjabi Spiced Salmon. Cyrus's Apple and Pear Chutney and Shepherd's Pie with Oomph and Aah. There are so many wonderful recipes one is left completely mystified.  

Watch one of Tony and Cyrus's videos regarding their cookbook by clicking *HERE*. I know I have seen another video of theirs on Youtube however I can not locate it at this time. I highly recommend this cookbook. Spice up your life! - JW  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.