Tuesday 24 July 2012

Kids Cooking



I bought this paperback in hopes it would inspire my kidlets and give them some easy stable kid friendly, so to speak, recipes. Seeing how this paperback cookbook was published in 1971 it's nice to know that kids haven't strayed to far... well until they become older and acquire a more sophisticated palette. Now a days I think some kids are more open to trying new dishes. For example my son luvs curries, sushi and tofu. My daughter luvs pasta, stir-fry and tofu. I should note my son is the older one and my daughter is the younger one. I feel she has more room to explore the culinary gambit. My son being a boy will eat just about anything... he thinks he's Garfield!      


Kids Cooking: A First Cookbook For Children by Aileen Paul and Arthur Hawkins, 1971; pp.[6]128 Archway publishing is a good basic starter cookbook for young kids who want to be inspired in the kitchen. It has the classic recipes that kids know and enjoy. It gives a brief introduction for Mothers and brief notes for kids. There are seven chapters which are: 1) Breakfast Dishes 2) Lunch Dishes 3) Dinner Dishes 4) Dessert Dishes 5) Party Foods 6) Snacks and 7) Regional Cooking. Each chapter has about seven recipes and breaks them down into two parts: Here's What You Need and Here's What You Do. Here's What You Do is a clear step by step instructions for kids. There are no actual photos of the finished dishes but then again who needs a photo of cereal surprise or a grilled cheese sandwich. Black and White illustrations are throughout which makes this paperback that much more charming. - JW     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.