Tuesday 1 March 2016

Jelly Roll Cake

This type of cake was on my baking to do list however I felt slightly intimidated by the shear effortless perfection that this cake emits, until yesterday. As first time jelly rolls go this turned out as best as the recipe instructed. My efforts produced an edible cake quickly devoured by all... my son had two slices! However I felt it was not 100%. There are many jelly roll recipes with slight variations therefore I will give it another go with a different recipe. Still, I am pleased with my efforts and surprised at how quickly one can be whipped up.  

Jelly Roll Cake
---------------------------------------------------------------
1 cup sifted cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 salt
2 eggs 
3/4 cup white sugar 
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk, preferably 2%
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup strawberry jam or your filling of choice (I used a poppyseed filling

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease and line a 10x15 inch jellyroll pan with parchment paper.

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Set aside.

In another large bowl beat the eggs together and sugar with an electric mixer until thick and pale, approximately 5 minutes. Stir in the vanilla and milk. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients. The batter will be thin pour into the prepared jelly roll pan.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until centre springs back when pressed lightly. Do not over bake, it may crack.

Meanwhile generously dust a clean dish towel with confectioners' sugar. Turn the cake out onto the towel, and slowly peel off the parchment paper. Gently roll  up the cake using the towel, and let cool for about 10 minutes. 

Unroll the cake and spread an even coat of jam or your choice of filling, onto the top. Roll the cake back up into a tight spiral, and remove the towel from underneath. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.

Notes: I followed the recipe as stated, only baking for 8 minutes, and although it turned out and the cake tasted fine, a little bit crumbly, I felt it was not 100%. This was my first time making a jelly roll; so perhaps I haven't got my rolling down.  


Perhaps not rolled tight enough. Still pleased with my efforts and I am determined to perfect my jelly roll making. 

- JD  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.