Monday 29 June 2015

Triple Chocolate Cake

This weekend was an eventful one. It was my son's birthday and he wanted a chocolate... chocolate cake. So I made this three layer triple chocolate cake over the coarse of 3 days, that is really ironic. First, I made the chocolate sponge cake, then I made the two chocolate cake layers and the first batch of chocolate icing. 

I assembled the cake as follows: I placed one of the chocolate cake layers on a large plate and then covered the top with icing. I then placed the chocolate sponge on top of the iced layer, then I covered the top of the sponge with icing, then I placed the second chocolate cake layer on top of that and iced the top. With the remaining icing I sealed the sides of the cake. The cake was covered and placed into the refrigerator until I could finish the cake the next day. The following day I made another batch of chocolate icing and poured it over the top of the cake, letting it drip down the sides until the cake was smothered with chocolate icing. Sliced almonds were placed on top and the cake went back into the refrigerator to let the icing set for about 2 hours. Which was perfect because by that time we were ready for cake.  

As you can see all the layers came together nicely from top to bottom. The light chocolate layer is the chocolate sponge cake. This cake was rich however not too dense and had the perfect amount of chocolate.  

The icing was very simple to make and I found it had a bit of a fudge consistency. Which was surprising considering it was only two ingredients. Chocolate and whipping cream. This icing is truly a chocolate lovers treat! 

Quick Chocolate Icing
---------------------------------------  
8 ounces of good quality chocolate
1 cup whipping cream

Melt the 8 ounces of chocolate. 

In a saucepan bring the 1 cup of whipping cream to a boil.

Pour the cream into the chocolate and whisk it until smooth, then refrigerate until set... about 4 to 6 hours. 

Notes: I used a bain-marie to melt the chocolate. When using this icing to icing between layers I let it sit on the counter for a bit so that it was a bit pliable and easy to spread. Also, I made two batches of this icing to completely cover the 3 layer chocolate cake I made. The second batch of icing did not set in the refrigerator instead was cooled for a few moments and then poured over the cake. Which then I let set for 2 hours in the refrigerator. 

Hope everyone had a good weekend! - JD 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.