Wednesday 10 September 2014

Sumac, Mixed Spice, Edible Flowers and So Juicy

The label on the side said new and that is all I needed to buy this jar of Sumac at Marks & Spencer. Not really sure what to use this spice for or with had me pondering my way through the rest of the aisles and the rest of my trip. Until I came home and placed it on the spice shelf in the pantry and pondered some more... well... I actually forgot about it until now. I searched a few cookbooks however none mention this particular spice. Turning my search to the internet proved positive. As I found out that it is used in Middle Eastern cuisine to add a lemony flavour to salads or meats. It can also be used as a garnish on hummus. 

Since I was down to the last little bit of Mixed Spice I decided to pick up a replacement at Marks & Spencer. Considerably larger than the one I already have, I was pleased to find a bigger size. I do use it quite a bit in baking. It just adds that bit of comfort. 


Edible flowers from Scotland. This reminded me of Herbs de Provence, although it has more flowers and some what less herbs. With 45% of ingredients being Flowers such as safflower, cornflower, and purple heather; 30% being Herbs such as thyme, bay, ransom, rosemary, basil, marjoram, oregano, parley, and tarragon; 12% being Fruits such as juniper berries, and rosehip and 7% being Spices such as black pepper, all spice and salt (6%). Still I could not pass this small 10g bottle up and look forward to using some when I cook or bake.  


So Juicy! My father-in-law was not going to have me leave England without bringing a packet of this back. He easily baked us up some chicken using this bake the chicken in the  bag provided seasoning mix. It was tasty and the chicken was so tender. It is like what North Americans call Shake'n'Bake however there is no shaking just massaging the raw chicken with seasonings and cooking it in the oven proof bag.  I was very happy my father-in-law was so insist! 

Funny story. I used the packet of Garlic Chicken, So Juicy one night for dinner. Not telling the kidlets what I had used or more importantly the name, So Juicy. When I served the cooked chicken soon after his first bite my son exclaimed "This chicken is so juicy!" So... juicy...! I laughed and he got all concerned and had this why are you laughing look on his face. When I stopped laughing I told him the name of the product and he laughed too. Actually we all had a good laugh around the dinner table that night. 

- JW      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.