Friday 30 May 2014

Tomato Soup

This tomato soup recipe was given to me by one of my in-laws. And since it was given under special favour and is regarded as a top secret recipe I may not be able to share the recipe with you. Although I did make some modifications therefore I am able to share my version. I guess that would make my version the not so top secret tomato soup recipe. Lots of cookbooks have soup recipes and the internet is full of them. So finding a comparable tomato soup recipe is easy however will it taste as good. I am sure my husband's uncle would beg to differ. After a week of damp and cold weather this truly hit the spot!  


Melt 1 ounce of butter in a pan. Add 2 large chopped onions and 3 cloves of crushed garlic. Cook without browning for 10 minutes. Stir in 1 ounce of flour and cook for another minute. 


Stir in 2 pounds of skinned and chopped tomatoes. I used 2 x 796 ml (28 fl oz) tins of tomatoes, one whole and the other diced. 



Add 1 pint of chicken stock or vegetable stock. Chicken stock was all I had on hand.  



Add sprigs of rosemary and thyme. Two of each preferably. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the tomatoes are very tender. 



Once the tomatoes were tender I removed the pan from the heat and took a hand held blender and smoothed everything together. You may also use a blender.  



Soup is ready! I am sure my in-laws would relish the fact that I shared this with you.  

Have a good weekend everyone! - JW 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.