Friday 5 July 2013

Bread Matters


Bread does matter and is an everyday staple. I tried making bread a few years back and instead of a nicely risen loaf, something that looked more like a giant tea biscuit laid before me. I was disappointed! Not entirely put off just highly disappointed. It's bread... one of those handed down traditions. The pure measure of independence. Most recently a long standing bakery that I frequently went to closed down. It sent me on a search for another bakery. Bread matters...

Andrew Whitley's book Bread Matters: the State of Modern Bread and a Definitive Guide to Baking Your Own is a technical text book on bread making. This definitive guide is intense with knowledge and information that's enlightening. If you ever dreamt of making bread, I still do, or becoming a full on bread baker this is the book for you. The photography is beautiful  and the hand drawn illustrations charming. One can tell Andrew Whitley is passionate about bread not because this mighty book is 373 pages thick but because he is a professional organic baker, founder of Bread Matters and cofounder of the Real Bread Campaign. You can find out more about these two foundations by clicking *here* 

This is a pleasant cookbook to add to my collection. I do not know how technical I really want to get with my bread making however a better understanding is always appreciated. - JW  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.