Thursday 11 June 2020

Navajo Flatbread


Prior to quarantine and probably still will be for much time after, I dream of creating the perfectly risen loaf of bread; try as I might, that day may never come. I can dream. Then this recipe graced my gaze and I thought, this seems like something I could do and would be ideal for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  

There are many recipes for flatbread and this recipe is a straight forward one however the oil stated seems to not be factored into the recipe, for whatever the reason, therefore I made a well in the dry ingredients, added the oil then added the lukewarm water, I only used 1 cup water to get the desired consistency. Regardless of what your bread making capabilities are, this recipe is definitely worth at try.  

Navajo Flatbread
----------------------------------------------------------
makes 6

2 cups flour
1 to 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 tablespoon oil / butter/ shortening 

Mix dry ingredients together and add most water, mix and add water until it has the consistency of tacky pizza dough. Knead a few minutes. Let rest in a greased bowl for about 30 to 60 minutes. 

Divide the dough into 6 pieces and roll out on a floured surface, thin... about tortilla thickness.

Heat griddle to to 350ºF. Cook until golden brown spots and flip, cooking until done. They can be made ahead and kept under a flour towel or frozen for later use.

Notes: I cooked the flatbread in a non-stick frypan on top of the stove using medium heat.  

Hope everyone is well, have a good weekend and stay safe. - JD 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.