Tuesday 11 December 2018

Honey Date Cookies

When I made these cookies years ago, around this time, I had mailed a few to my mum in a parcel. She was quite fond of them and requested more and the recipe. Although, I originally made these with chopped dried cranberries and vanilla extract. They were her favourite. Since her passing, I have only made them once in my holiday baking, not really sure why. Making these, with my daughter over the weekend, was such a wonderful way to remember my mum and sharing the story with her. Regardless of the different flavour, to me, they will always be my mum's favourite. 

 Honey Date Cookies 
----------------------------------------------------------------
makes 3 dozen

1 cup soft butter
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon maple extract
3 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup chopped dates

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line baking tray with baking parchment paper. Set aside.

In a medium bowl blend together the flour and baking soda. Add the chopped dates. Stir to combine. Set aside.

In a large bowl mix together the butter, sugar and eggs. Stir in the honey and maple extract. Stir in the flour mixture, gradually, until a dough had formed. 

With clean floured hands roll into balls, the size of a large walnut. Place on the prepared baking tray and with the bottom of a drinking glass floured or a floured fork, gently press each cookie down. Bake 8 to 12 minutes or until slightly golden, no imprint remains when touched and the bottoms are browned. Remove from baking tray and allow to cool on wire racks. Repeat until all the dough has been used up.

Notes: the cookie texture is a slight crisp outside with a soft inside. If you find the dough too sticky it may be placed in the refrigerator, for several hours or overnight to firm up... however flouring clean hands worked for me.        


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.