Sunday 6 July 2014

Leftovers #12 ~ Moroccan Salad

I had leftover rice and lentils that were just begging to be made into something. Remembering I had a jar of Moroccan seasoning on my spice shelf got my culinary juices flowing. I decided to combine all three with a few other ingredients and came up with  this a  Moroccan style salad. It is quick to make, providing you have some leftover rice.

Moroccan Salad
-----------------------------
2 cups leftover rice
leftover lentils or 1 small can of low sodium lentils
1 red pepper, diced
half a red onion, diced
dates or apricots, dried or fresh, chopped 
1-2 tablespoons of shreddred coconut, toasted
grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons of Moroccan seasoning
4-5 tablespoons, just about a 1/4 cup, of my Easy Herb Salad Dressing (I posted the recipe about 4 days ago however look under Labels, right hand side of my blog, for  *recipes* and click on that to find the recipe.) 

Notes: You may also add freshly chopped mint, toasted almonds and grated orange rind. Try using shallots or spring onions. You may add more Moroccan seasoning according to your taste.  

After chopping, dicing, grating and toasting most of the ingredients, place all the ingredients except the salad dressing into a large bowl. Breaking up the rice if it has clumps. Stir to combine everything then add the salad dressing just to lightly coat. Toss and Serve.   
  

This was the Moroccan seasoning I used. I bought this from Winners. Occasionally they have this brand, Victoria Gourmet. They have a wide variety of spices and I have tried most of them. Victoria Gourmet do have a website. To read more about them click *here*.

Hope everyone is having an enjoyable Sunday! - JW 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.