Tuesday 25 March 2014

Irish Oatmeal Cookies


Every week I try... or more to the point I make a sweet treat for the kidlets. Whether it be cookies, brownies, banana bread or cupcakes. I try to create and covet the holy grail of all baked goods. Offering them homemade indulgence. Ultimately, I hope that all my baking and cooking efforts inspire them to create for themselves inside the kitchen. Sharing their culinary delights with pure enjoyment. Nothing is more rewarding when it is done by yourself. Kitchen flattery will get one to sample works in progress, witness the failures, and of course to be the prime taste tester. Whether it be hot out of the oven or fresh from the pan. The taste tester is where it is at. And I had four of them last night while I made these oatmeal cookies.

I bought a box of McCann's Irish oats and on the back of the box was a recipe for Irish Oatmeal cookies. The recipe looked good however I thought that the butter content was a bit much. How could I reduce that. I felt a substitution was in order. One part butter and one part applesauce. I omitted the nuts and raisins because I did not have any on hand. And instead I added coconut.     


With the few substitutions they turned out fine. They offered a more cake like texture then a biscuit one. Still the taste testers approved.  

Irish Oatmeal Cookies
------------------------------------------------------

1 1/4 cup softened butter or margarine
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups McCann's Quick Cooking Irish Oatmeal
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350º

2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars. Add the egg and vanilla extract. 

3. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add to butter mixture. Mix well. 

4. Stir in McCann's Quick Cooking Irish Oatmeal, raisins and walnuts.

5. Drop rounded teaspoons of batter on a ungreased cookie sheet.

6. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes at 350º. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire cooling rack. 

Makes approx. 36 cookies

Notes: I added 1/2 cup butter and 3/4 cup organic applesauce instead of adding the 1 1/4 cup of butter the recipe called for. Also I omitted the raisins and nuts and added about a 1/4 cup of shredded coconut. Baking times may vary... I baked my version of this recipe for only 12 minutes. 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.