Wednesday 12 March 2014

Applesauce, and Avocado Oil Banana Bread



I decided to make banana bread and play around with the ingredients a bit. I wanted to cut some of the fat, add healthy fat and keep it moist as ever. I omitted vegetable oil and used avocado oil and applesauce instead. By doing this it has accomplished all three. I usually add or should I say requested to add chocolate chips to any banana bread I am making. However this time I wanted to appreciate the flavour of the avocado oil. Even if it was minimal. Regardless, banana bread is generally sweet enough. The texture of this loaf is light, spongy, and very moist. I am quite pleased with my efforts in transforming this classic recipe.          

Applesauce, and Avocado Oil Banana Bread
-----------------------------------------------------------------

3 -4  ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
1/3 cup avocado oil
1/3 cup applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
3/4 caster sugar

1 cup  unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon mixed spice
pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Then grease or line, with parchment paper, a deep loaf tin. 

In a separate bowl blend the flour, baking soda and mixed spice. Set aside.

In a large bowl mash the bananas. Then add the avocado oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Stir together until blended. Then add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Pour in the sugar. Stir until all is blended. 

Add the dry ingredients all at once to the wet ingredients and blend together. Once the batter has come all together pour into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 50 - 60 minutes or until the top is nicely brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack. 

Notes: I have a loaf pan that is a bit longer than a regular loaf pan and deep so I used that. You can use regular all purpose flour. I just like to use unbleached.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.