Thursday 22 August 2013

English Pub Favourites

I have only been home for a few days and I am already itching to get back into the kitchen. There is really no big surprise considering that I brought back six cookbooks. However jet lag is lingering. So I thought I would do this post and share some of the menu choices I made while eating out.  

Usually when I go to England the ploughman's is the menu item I order. A quick glance at any menu when eating out and spotting a ploughman's means the search to fill the void is no more. Second to that is fish and chips followed by the Waldorf salad. 


The Ploughman's - The first Ploughman's I had was at the Old Bell in Rye, pictured here. By far this was the best one! The bread was cut thick and so was the cheese. The salad, fresh. The ham, tender. The apple slices crisp and a few crisps for crunch. Even though the ingredients to make up a ploughman's remains the same, every pub does it's own take on this pub classic. 


Fish and Chips - That is the standby favourite and I always have to have my fill. I do find fish and chips here and fish and chips in England are two different things. However this time I was able to try a vegetarian version at the Victoria pub in London, pictured here. Pieces of fried halloumi cheese, chips and mushy peas served with a side of tartar sauce. It was equally delicious and just as satisfying as the real thing. 



The Waldorf Salad - When I see this on the menu I feel compelled to order this. Waldorf salads are few and far between in Canada. Also I always have a bit of a laugh due to the Fawlty Towers episode. Therefore I find it amusing and comforting. I view this salad the same way as the ploughman's, the ingredients remain the same however some may add a few extras. This Waldorf salad, pictured here, from the Riverside Inn in Ashford, Kent was great. It was served with a bed of lettuce and bunches of diced veggies placed around it and then the salad topped with pumpkin seeds crowned the top. Very filling! 
- JW 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.