Saturday 18 May 2013

Food Revolution Day 2013


As some of you may know Food Revolution was yesterday. I would have posted this late last night however I was a bit tired. I had spent most of the afternoon with my son's class at a gymnastics field trip. Fun as that was... I had to hurry home to get cooking. 

Unfortunately, I wish my event wasn't the only one in Edmonton however it was and that didn't dampen my spirit. But it did get me thinking as to why more Canadians or should I say western Canada seem to lag behind in participating. Could it be that the long weekend over shadowed this event? Or the fact that Food Revolution was on a Friday threw everyone for a loop? Last years event was held on a Saturday. Regardless I enjoyed my participation and tried to inspire others. The above picture shows my meal in it's fullest... trust me everything went fast! 



We made these salad rolls with rice paper wraps, lettuce, carrots, cucumber and water chestnuts. Very yummy and fresh. I made a simple dipping sauce of mixing honey, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil together. 



The second dish was a vegetable medley. I took thinly sliced green cabbage, green peppers, celery and green onions. Sautéed them in a bit of canola oil for about 5 mins then added a tablespoon of soy sauce. Tossed to coat. Then serve. Very simple and very fast. 


Here was the focal point of the meal. I say focal point because oddly enough I have never made lemon chicken before. It was easy and done in about 40 minutes. Very... very tasty! I will definitely me making this again. 

I know Food Revolution just isn't about cooking a meal using fresh local ingredients. It's about awareness, education, community and sharing. Four days prior to Food Revolution Day we planted golden raspberries and radishes in the garden. Today we bought more seeds... lamb lettuce and yellow beans. I picked the lamb lettuce and my daughter picked the yellow beans. I talk to my kidlets about food, where it comes from and why we eat what we eat and the healthier food choices we should make. We even exchange recipe ideas. Our dinner table is a great place to discuss this. Even if I am the only one in Edmonton at least I am showing my kidlets it is important to participate, regardless, when others do not and it is important to stand up for what you believe in. Happy Food Revolution Day! - JW   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.