Wednesday 14 November 2012

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies


I bought a package of oatmeal for a reason and could not remember what recipe I needed it for. That rarely happens with me. As I was trying to remember I noticed a cookie recipe on the back of the package and thought why don't I make these that instead. Last night I was feverishly working away making these sweet but tasty morsels to share. I hope my photo will not tease but tempt you into making these delicious cookies because I am sharing the recipe with you. 

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
---------------------------------------------

3/4 cup (175 ml) butter, softened
3/4 cup (175 ml) brown sugar, packed 
1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar 
1 egg
2 tablespoons (30 ml) water
2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract 
3/4 cup (175 ml) All purpose flour 
1 teaspoon (5 ml) cinnamon  
3/4 teaspoon (4 ml) baking soda 
3 cups (750 ml) oats 
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) semi-sweet chocolate chips 
*You can replace the chocolate chips with raisins or dried cranberries. 

My Notes: For the brown sugar I used a dark brown sugar, the granulated sugar was organic, the vanilla extract I used was pure vanilla extract, the all purpose flour was unbleached, I do tend to add a bit more cinnamon than suggested and as it just stated 'Oats' and the package I bought was 'quick oats' that is what I used. Being able to try a cookie while hot and fresh from the oven I found them very sweet. Almost too sweet. Next time I would cut down the amount of brown sugar by adding a 1/2 cup instead of the 3/4 cup that was suggested. What I really like about this recipe is that there is loads of oatmeal. Usually recipes have a cup to a cup and a half of oatmeal and that is just not enough for me. 

Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC)
Grease or line baking trays with parchment paper. I used parchment paper.
Cream butter, sugars, egg, water and vanilla together on medium speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy. I decided to do it the old fashion way, by hand. 
Combine flour, cinnamon and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture. Beating on low speed until blended, stir in oats and chocolate chip. Again I did this by hand.
Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls (15 ml) onto prepared baking sheets.  
Bake in preheated oven 12-15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. 
Do not over bake.

Happy baking! -JW   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.