Wednesday 15 October 2014

Chicory Root


A new shop opened in E-town - The Silk Road Spice Merchant. And of course I had to pop in to see what they were all about. The minute you walk into the shop your nose... and senses are in spice heaven overload. They have just about every spice imaginable and the staff are friendly. I bought Chicory Root to add to coffee. The smell faintly reminded me of Camp coffee. Not surprised seeing how Camp coffee is mostly chicory. On the side of the bottle was a suggested recipe for an authentic New Orleans coffee. It states to use 2/3 coffee and 1/3 chicory. I made as recommended and the coffee tasted richer with a slight malted flavour. Not a true Camp coffee taste however pretty close. I was thinking you could add just a touch of cinnamon however it wouldn't be New Orleans coffee anymore. Of course you can play around with the amounts to have a preferred taste.  

The chicory resembles instant coffee crystals and when blended with ground coffee it virtually goes undetected. It has a slight roasted malted caramel aroma. I also bought a Chai Spice blend for the shortbread I will be making.  

- JW  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.