Wednesday 13 August 2014

A Spurtle, Egg Topper, and a Salt Spoon

While I was in Scotland I did not hesitate to look at kitchenwares focusing my eye on oddities. First, was the spurtle, a Scottish spoon for stirring porridge. I do not know what makes stirring oatmeal with a spurtle better than a wooden spoon, however I was intrigued. I imagine that it will not bash around the oats as much. This fall and winter I will experience my porridge in a new way. Thanks to the mighty spurtle.  

Second, is the egg topper. Usually I use a knife to slice and crack open my boiled eggs. Looking like an oddly shaped pair of scissors I thought this could simplify things and be a bit fun at the breakfast table.  

Just place the egg topper over the top of the cooked egg. Pinch or squeeze the handles together so the sharp metal teeth grab hold of the shell. Twist to the left then twist to the right and voila the egg has been topped. As simple as it is it does take some getting used to. This gadget may be great for kids who are not so skilled with a knife.  

Third, a salt spoon. This spoon is wee but deep and comes with much debate. Whether or not it is proper to use a metal spoon or a wooden spoon when dealing with salt. I will let you decide what works best for you. I erred on the side of the salt gods and went with a wooden one. For £1.99 I think dishing out salt for my favourite recipes won't be so bad after all. 

Hope everyone is having a good week so far. - JW 

2 comments:

  1. Hi just wondering where you got the salt spoon? I've been looking for one in Scotland but no luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, the salt spoon I found in Canterbury, England. There is a lovely kitchen shop across the road from the Cathedral's entrance way. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.