Friday 25 April 2014

Peabutter Cookies


Peanut butter cookies were one of my favourites growing up. The warm buttery nutty flavour, the tan colour, and the infamous criss cross pattern was melt in your mouth goodness. 

In today's nut free zone I have created an alternative. I substituted the peanut butter for peabutter. And the taste is virtually the same. I ended up taste testing three! My usual taste testers were away. Generally, I have one on principal when and if no one else is on hand. I ate the usual one however two crumbled as I was placing them on the cooling rack. I blame the cookie spatula and the cooling rack.

A few hours after I made them I had to dash out to the shop. Upon my return, entering the house was one that I can only describe as warm, sugary, and divine. Absolute comfort. If ever there was a need for smell-o-vision it would have been yesterday afternoon.   



This is the No Nuts Golden Peabutter I used. It is nut free, peanut free, gluten free, and trans fat free. Most grocery stores will carry this brand. However most offer another type Soy Nut Butter. That I have not tried. Any recipe you have that calls for peanut butter may now be replaced with this, peabutter. The texture is lip smacking and the taste isn't so nutty however it comes very close.   


Peabutter Cookies
-----------------------------------------------

1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup peabutter
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 large egg

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 375ยบ

In a large bowl beat the caster sugar, brown sugar, peabutter, butter, and egg with an electric mixer on medium speed. You can also mix with a spoon however the electric mixer makes it easier. 

Then stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt with a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon. 

Note: I used self-raising flour therefore I omitted the baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Shape the dough into about 1 1/4 inch balls. Place about 3 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Flatten with a fork dipped in sugar or flour creating a criss cross pattern. Or take a flat bottom glass and press gently down to flatten and place a chocolate chip in the centre. 

Bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool for about 5 minutes, remove from baking sheet and onto a wire rack. 

Notes: Modify baking times can prove positive...


Ovens vary therefore temperatures may vary .. the first batch I cooked for 9 minutes and this is what the bottoms of the cookies looked like. Just a tad bit over done. 


So I tweaked the baking time to 7 minutes and this is what the bottoms looked like. Golden perfection. What a difference. Amazing what 2 minutes can do! 

Have a good weekend everyone! - JW  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.