Thursday 19 December 2013

Christmas Candy

Christmas time has it's usual suspects at the dinner and dessert table. Wade through all the mincemeat tarts, fruit cake, shortbread, and rum balls and seemingly there is supposed to be a cornucopia of Christmas candy. My mum never made candy at Christmas probably because she made fudge periodically throughout the year. 

This cookbook is only 63 pages has no index just a table of contents which in most part acts as both. There is a simple and brief introduction regarding making the best candy, storing candy and packaging candy and other confections. Charming Victorian inspired holiday illustrations. Classic recipes such as almond clusters, pralines, peppermint creams, peanut brittle, fudge, salt water taffy and popcorn balls.

Last night I attempted to make the fruit fudge. I say attempted because I have tried on occasion to make this confectionary goodness only for my efforts to be a bit on the disappointed side. Although in my defence I think having a candy thermometre would help, slightly. My mum never used a candy thermometer and her fudge was fabulous every time. So much so that it would be purchase even before hitting the school's bake sale table.  

I found a recipe, from this book, to be nearly fool proof. The fudge did turn out. That said, I think a tweak here or there on my part, could make it better. I will go back to the kitchen at some point today and have another go. In the meantime I will share the recipe from the book so that you may try.

Fruit Fudge
----------------------------------------

2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup mixed canned fruit, coarsely chopped
**candied cherries may be substituted for the mixed fruit

Grease an 8 inch square pan with butter.

In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, and butter. Cook over high heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat to moderate and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until; the mixture comes to a boil.

Cover the pan and cook for 1 minute. Uncover the pan and insert a candy thermometer. Cook, uncovered, without stirring, until the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage (236ºF on the candy thermometer). 

Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Set aside until the candy cools to lukewarm (110ºF).

With a wooden spoon, beat the fudge until it is thick and creamy and is no longer glossy. Quickly stir in the fruit.

Pour the fudge into the prepared pan. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. When the fudge is firm and completely cool, cut it into squares. 

Notes: Because I do not have a candy thermometer I had a glass of cold water beside the saucepan and periodically took a small spoon with a small amount of the fudge as it cooked and tipped it into the water to see if it would form a small soft ball... hence the term "soft-ball stage". Probably not the most effective way however that is how my mum tested her fudge. And it turned out every time. 

Hope everyone is enjoying the week so far. - JW 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.