Friday 5 April 2013

Late Night Baking, Yesterday's Lunch and Snow!



Last night I managed some late night baking. Banana bread. One of the most comforting things one can imagine. As the kidlets laid in bed falling asleep, the house smelled delicious and inviting. I wonder what they dreamt about as the aura of banana bread wafted through the air.  

The recipe I chose was from Nigella Lawson's cookbook Nigellissima, her breakfast banana bread. The only thing I didn't add was the instant espresso powder instead I added mini organic chocolate chips. Trying this new recipe I had to try it straight from the oven. Very hot, the loaf was dense however light and very moist. It is suggested to serve it with mascarpone sprinkled with cinnamon sugar on top. That would make it rich and decadent. Having it plain suited me fine. I did get to thinking that a good smattering of almond butter would be just as nice.

I checked Nigella's website to find the recipe unfortunately it is not posted there. I did find another banana bread recipe, to which I have made. One of the ingredients is dark rum and as I recall it was delicious too. The recipe does ask for walnuts. I omitted those. To try that recipe visit her website nigella.com  and search for banana bread recipes.


Yesterday I made this salad for lunch and it was a bit premature on my part. We woke up to more snow! Making banana bread last night and I will be making ham and pea soup this afternoon is right on the mark.

I always serve a kale salad with most meals. This one came with all the trimmings. Radishes, tomatoes, cucumber, slices of oranges, goats cheese and slices of hard boiled eggs. I didn't really time myself however I think it took me about 7 minutes to make. Everything was on hand. Ready and waiting to be chopped. As the egg boiled away I prepared the veggies and fruit. The salad dressing was made the day before and consisted of avocado oil, raspberry wine vinegar, summer savoury, pepper, freshly grated orange rind and a bit of grainy mustard. Simple and fresh. Despite the snow I will not let it deter my summery thoughts I will be having another salad for lunch. Have a great weekend everyone! - JW  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.