Wednesday 12 June 2024

Leftovers #66 ~ Coconut and Cashew Basmati Rice

 

Having leftover Basmati rice almost never occurs whether that's because I have my portions correct so it all gets ate or what, however there are times when I am a bit off with my portions causing me to have leftovers. This is a quick way to reimagine that leftover rice. It's mildly fragrant, scrumptious and enhances the leftover rice, only taking a few minutes and a few ingredients. 

First, chop and dice about half a yellow onion. Then warm a bit of oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat, I used avocado oil. Once the oil is hot, add the diced onion to the fry pan and give a stir, allow the onions to sauté for about 3 to 4 minutes then add 1 to 2 teaspoons cumin seeds. Give a stir to infuse the onion and cumin seeds together and keep stirring as you don't want the seeds to burn. Once the cumin seeds become fragrant and toasty add some dried shredded coconut to the pan, how much and how sweet will be up to your preference. Keep stirring until the coconut becomes slightly toasted. Add the leftover basmati rice, I had about 4 cups, and gently break up the clumps while sautéing, making sure the rice get incorporated with the oil, onions, seeds and coconut. Take a handful of cashews and roughly break them into bits and add them to the rice mixture and stir together, allowing the cashews to get toasted. Now at this point you could add some coconut milk or chicken broth and cook until the liquid is absorbed, however I had neither so I kept it simple which worked really well as I wanted a more lightly fragranced drier rice then a moist sticky one to go with the spicy Tikka Masala I was serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.