Thursday 23 May 2024

150 Year Old Biscuit Recipe

 

I stumbled upon this recipe while researching ingredients, I know, the wonders of the internet, straight down a rabbit hole. This vintage biscuit recipe supposedly has not had one tweak in its century and a half existence... well until I made them however I am sure I am not the only one to make slight modifications. I used dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar. I also made only 15 cookies because I chose to roll the dough into walnut sized balls. I set the oven temperature to 325ºF (170ºC) to bake them. Sprinkled cinnamon sugar on them while still warm from the oven and let them rest for 5 minutes on the baking tray before removing them to a wire rack. I quite like that I got fewer cookies that were of a fair size and the sprinkling of cinnamon sugar on top added a delicate touch, giving them a Snickerdoodle flavour to enhance their crunchy buttery butterscotch toffee texture. These are exceptional biscuits to make and can easily be whipped up in minutes and will be devoured just as quickly! 


150 Year Old Biscuit Recipe ( 3 Ingredient Recipe) 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

125 grams (approx. 1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
100 grams ( approx. 1/2 cup) brown caster sugar (light brown sugar)
150 grams (approx. 1 cup) self-raising flour

Add the butter, brown sugar and self-raising flour to a large bowl. Mix and knead everything by hand until well mixed and you can form a ball of dough.

Let the dough chill for 20 minutes in the refrigerator or a cold place.

Preheat the oven to 305ºF (150ºC). Make 25 small round balls and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.

Gently press the pattern into the dough with a fork. Bake for 20 minutes. 


Notes: the biscuits do spread so place them on the baking tray with enough space in-between to accommodate for this. I did weigh ingredients with a kitchen scale and placed those amounts into a measuring cup to get cup measurements however it's best to measure by weight for the most accurate amounts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.