Thursday 27 February 2014

Welsh Cakes in the Afternoon


The kidlets have a school in-service day so I made Welsh cakes to pass the playful time away. These made for a yummy mid afternoon treat that were gobbled up in seconds. It was my first time making them. Always thinking that they may be complicated to make this was one item on my baking bucket list. However I have tasted a Welsh cake or two before. Memories came flooding back from years ago when I participated in a bake exchange and low and behold I was on the receiving end of some very scrumptious Welsh cakes. All of which sparked a culinary fondness for such said cakes. 




WELSH CAKES
-----------------------------------------------

1 2/3 cups self-rising flour, sifted
A pinch of salt
2oz shortening, e.g. Crisco, softened
1/2 stick butter, softened
Generous 1/3 cup granulated sugar
Scant 1/4 cup currants
1/2 egg, beaten
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
Superfine sugar for sprinkling

1. Preheat a griddle or heavy frying pan to a moderate, even temperature. Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the fat. Add the sugar and currants and mix with the egg and milk to a soft dough. 

2. On a floured board, roll out to a thickness of 1/4 - 1/2 inch and cut out circles using a 3 inch cutter. Place on the griddle and cook both sides until light golden. Lift onto a wire rack to cool and sprinkle with superfine sugar before serving. 

Notes:
-------- 
I omitted the Crisco that the recipe calls for and added 2oz of butter instead so a full stick of butter, which is 1/2 cup.

I did not use a 1/2 beaten egg, I used 1 whole egg. I was not quite sure on how to make an egg, half an egg, when raw.

Also I found that I need to add more milk... roughly about 3 more tablespoons. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.